So, I'm kind of at a loss for what to write about. I mean, this is my first blog since high school. Yes, I succumbed and had a xanga in high school. C'mon gimme a break. I was angsty and emo and raging against the machine. I had a lot to say. I guess, given the title of this blog, it should be about me getting "lost in Beijing." Which, I am sure, will happen on many occasions. But, it feels contrived to be writing in a blog now. Forced and awk (real awk). Maybe it won't be that way once I am in China and have something to say or something to tell my faithful readers about.
I leave the day after tomorrow and am pretty nervous. I didn't think I would be nervous, but it's a new year and I am starting it off by fleeing the country. This can only spell doom. Well, I hope not. I'm nervous about my classmates. I hope we get along and I make some good friends. I am also nervous about my Chinese skills. I've tried to review over break...but, you know how those things turn out. I guess there's only so much I can do to prepare. I've just started to pack. Which basically means I've thrown things on the floor and made piles and brought suitcases in. I haven't put anything in them yet. I'll be packing all day tomorrow and running some last minute errands.
It feels very weird to not be heading back to Athens and getting into "school mode." People I know are heading back and gearing up for another semester and I'm not. I guess that's when you realize that people are going to move on with or without you. Which is another thing about study abroad that is interesting. When I come back people will be different and situations may have changed and, hopefully, I will have changed. Perspectives are new, time has passed, and a number of things will be feel... strange. We'll see. I feel like this will be a theme I'll return to while in China.
All in all, I am pretty excited to be in China. It's weird because when I've gone out of the country before I can imagine where I'll be. I can imagine what its going to smell like...feel like. But, as for China, I can't even imagine what I'm going to see or feel. It's like I am headed to this imaginary place that doesn't really exist - a place that only exists in the realm of photos or literature.
Well, regardless, I have a 13 hour flight there and have no idea what I am going to do for 13 hours. Hello, Tylenol PM.
Here's to a new year, a new adventure, and a new perspective. I'll update once I'm in China.
-Aaron
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Aww I'll miss you! Have fun! <3
"But, it feels contrived to be writing in a blog now. Forced and awk (real awk)."
Are we to the level of awk-ness monster? Haha. I look forward to hearing your take on things.
Jeet's "awk-ness monster" comment is awk in itself.
I am going to miss you sooo much. Also blog frequently... I want to read your snarkiness on a regular basis.
Have so much fun (I know you will!)
MUAH!
"Hello, Tylenol p.m." haha-- I absolutely LOVE you and will read you blog frequently to compare "real Chinese" people with the San Francisco Chinese people. I hope you figured out how to get from the airport to your school!
Love and miss you (and think you're terrific!)
Post a Comment